How To Become A Real Estate Agent In Singapore (Updated 2021)
Have you ever thought of becoming a real estate agent?
You may be a fresh graduate, or someone planning to do a career change. Or you may be a stay-at-home-mum looking to return to the society.
Is a property agent career a good career?
Time flexibility, lucrative income, the choice to work from home etc. These are the popular reasons why many choose property as their career.
So how do you become a property agent in Singapore?
Read on to find out the 4 steps to start a real estate agent career!
Step 1: Check that you fulfill the criteria to become a property agent
There are a few criteria that you must fulfill before you can proceed to the next step.
1) Must be a Singaporean or a Singaporean Permanent Resident (SPR) for more than 10 years
For Singaporeans, you have already fulfilled the first criteria.
What if I am a SPR for less than 10 years? Can I still join the real estate agent industry?
If you are a SPR for less than 10 years, you are required to submit a Certificate of no criminal conviction or a proof that you have stayed in Singapore for 10 years or more.
For foreigners looking to join the industry, your estate agent must approach CEA for a preliminary assessment of your eligibility and submit the required documents like work pass or employment contract.
2) Must be 21 years old and above
If you are younger than 21 years old, congrats! You have a long road ahead to make this your dream career. Just wait a while more :)
3) Must have a minimum of 4 'O' level passes or equivalent
If you do not have a minimum of 4 'O' level passes, you may also submit a Level 5 and above Workplace Literacy and Numeracy (WPLN) assessment in these 5 components - Reading, listening, speaking, writing and numeracy.
You may register the WPLN Assessment at the British Council.
For other qualifications like overseas qualifications and private diploma etc, they can also be submitted for assessment through the Approved Course Providers (ACP) whom you intend to enrol the Real Estate Salesperson (RES) course.
4) Fulfil CEA fit & proper criteria
You must fulfill the criteria that CEA has listed in order to be deemed fit and proper to be a real estate agent.
Find out more details on such criteria on CEA website.
If you fulfill the above 4 criteria, congratulations!
You may now move on to the next step - Attend the Real Estate Salesperson (RES) Course.
Step 2: Attend the Real Estate Salesperson (RES) Course
CEA requires all new entrants to take the RES exam preparatory course through its Approved Course Providers (ACP) prior to taking the RES exam.
Below are the CEA Approved Course Providers:
1) Benchmark Realpro Pte Ltd
- Website: www.benchmarkrealpro.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel number: 6733 5860 / 6735 5861
- Office: 151 Chin Swee Road #03-31 Manhattan House Singapore 169876
2) Hastor Property Services Pte Ltd
- Website: www.hastor.com.sg
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel number: 6252 2802
- Office: Blk 190 Lor 6 Toa Payoh #02-514 Singapore 310190
3) Institute of Estate Agents
- Website: www.iea.sg
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel number: 6323 1770
- Office: 480 Lor 6 Toa Payoh #07-091 HDB Hub East Wing Singapore 310480
4) Life Mastery Academy Pte Ltd
- Website: www.lma.com.sg
- Email: RES@lifemasteryacademy.com
- Tel number: 6255 6091 / 6255 6083
- Office: Blk 190 Lor 6 Toa Payoh #02-510 Singapore 310190
5) Pioneer Training & Consultancy Pte Ltd
- Website: www.pioneertraining.org
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel number: 6462 6093 / 9424 3483
- Office: Blk 134 Jurong Gateway Road #03-309P Singapore 600134
6) Real Centre Network Pte Ltd
- Website: www.realcentrenetwork.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel number: 6511 3009
- Office: 490 Lor 6 Toa Payoh #09-16 HDB Hub Biz 3 Singapore 310490
7) Realty International Associates Pte Ltd
- Website: www.riaschool.com.sg
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel number: 6339 6000
- Office: 490 Lor 6 Toa Payoh #03-13 HDB Hub Biz 3 Singapore 310490
8) Singapore Estate Agents Association
- Website: www.seaa.org.sg
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel number: 6702 1602
- Office: 60 Paya Lebar Road #13-23 Paya Lebar Square Singapore 409051
You will be issued with the Certificate of RES Course Completion after you have completed the RES course, provided that you have a minimum attendance rate of 75%.
Do note that the certificate of RES course completion has a validity period of 2 years. You must take the RES examination within 2 years from the completion date,
In the event you are not able to pass the exam within 2 years (ouch, touchwood!), you are required to attend and complete the RES course again.
Step 3: Take the Real Estate Salesperson (RES) examination
There are 2 papers for the exam.
The format of both Paper 1 and Paper 2 is as follows:
Section A: 50 MCQs (50 marks)
Section B: 15 MCQs with reference to 1 or 2 case studies (30 marks)
Section C: 10 Fill-in-the-blank Short Answer Questions (20 marks)
Duration: 2.5 hours for each paper
If you have only passed one paper, you are allowed to retake the other paper within the 2 years timeframe from the date of issuance of the RES course completion certificate.
The current RES exam syllabus was revised and took effect from 1 Jan 2017.
It consists of 4 competency units:
1) Real estate agency industry overview and basic land law concepts.
2) Dealings with interest in land.
3) Regulation of real estate agency industry and real estate marketing.
4) Property Transactions
For a full sitting of 2 papers, the exam fees (including GST) is $417.30.
For modular re-sitting, the exam fees (including GST) is $235.40.
The 2021 exam dates are as followed:
You may want to visit the RELC website for the latest updates on examination registration opening and closing dates.
Examination Passing Marks
The passing mark for each paper is 60% and subject to review by CEA.
Examination Results Notification
You will receive an email notification 4 to 6 weeks informing you if you have passed your exams.
If you have passed your examination, a big congratulation to you! You may now proceed to step 4!
If you have not passed your exams, don't be discouraged. We have many teammates who tried a few times before finally passing their exam and finally become a real estate salesperson!
You can do it!
Step 4: Apply to a Real Estate Agency and register as a salesperson
Once again, congrats on passing your exam. It's no small feat!
You may now proceed to your chosen real estate agency and register as a salesperson through them. Do note that this has to be done within 2 years from the month you sat for the exam. Not sure which property agency to join?
Read more on: Which real estate agency should I join?
If you have been thinking about building a career in real estate, start taking action now to make this a reality!
Looking for a real estate mentor to kickstart your journey? Or have questions before embarking on this property journey?
Drop me a whatsapp or schedule an appointment with me using the link below.
See you soon!
About The Author
Vivian is an experienced real estate agent who is also a mother of 2. She joined the real estate industry in 2002. From a single woman to a mother of 2, Vivian knows what being a real estate mom entails. There are the obvious benefits - time flexibility so we can work our schedules around our kids, working from home so we can take care of our children, earning good income so as to provide for our family etc. These make real estate career so enticing to women. There are also many challenges - financial insecurity as we do not have a basic pay, time management as we juggle work, children, family all at one time. Only those who have walked the same journey will understand. Vivian would now like to pay it forward by mentoring women to build a real estate career. It is her vision to help women not only to achieve success in their real estate career, but also striking a balance between marriage, children and having a fulfilling life. Do call Vivian at 98577714 to embark on this journey.