Interested In A Real Estate Career?
Have you always wanted to build a career in real estate?
Follow the following steps to find out how you can become a Real Estate Salesperson (RES)!
Step 1: Am I eligible? Find out the criteria to becoming a Real Estate Salesperson
Step 2: Apply for the Real Estate Salesperson Course
Step 3: Apply for the Real Estate Salesperson Examination
Step 4: Register with a licensed estate agency
CRITERIA TO BECOMING A REAL ESTATE SALESPERSON
To become a RES, you need to fulfil the following criteria:
(1) Must be Singaporean or Singapore Permanent Resident (SPR) for more than 10 years.
(2) Must be 21 years old and above.
(3) Must have at least 4 'O' Level passes or equivalent.
(4) Pass the Real Estate Salesperson (RES) examination or equivalent.
(5) Register with a real estate agency after passing the RES exam. To find out what are the 5 criteria to consider when choosing an agency, read: Which Real Estate Agency Should I Join After Passing My RES Exam?
(6) You must not be an existing licensee/Key Executive Officer at another real estate agency.
(7) You must not hold a moneylender's license, neither shall you be an employee, partner or director of a licensed moneylender.
(8) If you are a returning or renewing salesperson, you must complete 6 credit hours of continuing professional development (CPD) courses.
For KEOs/ Practising Directors/ Partners/ Salespersons:
(a) If you have de-registered for less than 2 years, you are required to fulfill the same number of CPD hours before applying for registration.
(b) If you have de-registered for 2 years or more, you must take the RES course and pass the RES examination before you can apply for registration.
(9) You must be covered by a Professional Indemnity Insurance for at least a year from the registration's commencement date.
(10) You must not be in arrears with the Central Provident Fund (CPF) Board for your Medisave contribution.
(11) Fulfil all fit and proper criteria under the Estate Agents Act.
ATTEND THE REAL ESTATE SALESPERSON COURSE
To be a RES, you need to take a compulsory course from an approved course provider before taking the examinations.
After you have finished the course (with a minimum of 75% attendance), you will be provided with the Certificate of RES Course Completion, which has a validity period of 2 years.
You are eligible to take the RES examination within 2 years from the completion date of your RES course. Otherwise you are required to attend and complete the RES course again before you are eligible to take the RES examination.
The RES courses generally cost between $650-$800.
If you’re an NTUC member, you can enjoy the UTAP subsidy (up to $250) for your RES Exams.
You may also utilize your SkillsFuture credit.
CEA Approved RES Course Providers
Benchmark Realpro Pte Ltd
Website : www.benchmarkrealpro.com
Tel No: 6735 5860 / 6735 5861
Office: 151 Chin Swee Road #03-31 Manhattan House Singapore 169876
Hastor Property Services Pte Ltd
Website : www.hastor.com.sg
Tel No: 6252 2802
Office: Blk 190 Lorong 6 Toa Payoh #02-514 Singapore 310190
Institute of Estate Agents
Life Mastery Academy Pte Ltd
Pioneer Training & Consultancy Pte Ltd
Real Centre Network Pte Ltd
Realty International Associates Pte Ltd
Singapore Estate Agents Association
APPLY FOR THE REAL ESTATE SALESPERSON EXAMINATION
RES Examination Schedule
RES examinations will take place in February, June and October.
RES Examination Fees
Full Sitting (2 Papers) @ $417.30 (incl GST)
Modular Re-sitting (1 Paper) @ $235.40 (incl GST)
Note: Modular Re-Sitting is only applicable if you have passed one paper.
RES Examination Format
The format of both papers is as follows:
Section A : 50 MCQs (50 marks)
Section B : 15 MCQs with reference to 1 or 2 Case Studies (30 marks)
Section C : 10 Fill-in-the-blank Short Answer Questions (20 marks)
Duration : 2 ½ hours per paper
RES Examination Syllabus
RES Examination Results Notification
You will receive an email notification from CEA's appointed examination administrator informing you of your examination results 4 - 6 weeks after the examination.
REGISTER WITH A LICENSED ESTATE AGENCY
Submit your salesperson application form through your real estate agency.
Below are the estimated costs to register with a licensed estate agency.
Real Estate Salesperson Registration fee: $53.50 + $230 annual CEA fees = $283.50
Professional Indemnity Insurance: $120
Admin fees for name cards/ID Tag/Start Up Course/Admin fees: $300 -$500 range.
APPROVAL OF CEA REGISTRATION
You will receive a notification of CEA's approval for your registration within 4 to 6 weeks.
Congratulations! You are now all ready to start your career in real estate!
Looking for a mentor coach to kickstart you on your real estate career?
Read more about my real estate journey: Journey Of My Real Estate Agent Career